Thursday, May 21, 2009

Cognitivism in Practice

According to Lever-Duffy and McDonald (2008), cognitivism focuses "on learning as a mental operation that takes place when information enters through the senses, undergoes mental manipulation, is stored, and is finally used" (Lever-Duffy & McDonald, 2008, p. 16). Where behaviorism is focused on the extrinsic factors, cognitivism looks inward; at the inner workings of the mind and how information is processed and learned.

This week's resources focused on cues, questions, and advance organizers, as well as summarizing and note taking as means of "enhancing students' ability to retrieve, use, and organize information about a topic" (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p. 73). Additionally, Dr. Orey (2001) discussed cognitive tools which, "allow students to interact with information in order to acquire, synthesize, create, and share new knowledge" (Orey, 2001).

Cognitive learning theories suggest the notion that information is better remembered and learned when multiple sensory inputs are used. The Dual Coding Hypothesis and Elaboration Theory both suggest the brain creates more connections, therefore has greater access in the future, for information when visuals and other sensory inputs are used in addition to text (Laureate Education, Inc., 2008).

Concept maps, spreadsheet software, organizing and brainstorming software, word processing software, communication applications, and multimedia applications are technological means of creating sensory-rich learning, during which students are engaged and active. Meaningful graphics and sounds, engaging video, and creative presentations all enhance the connections students make with the new information, increasing the ability for retention.

Resources:

Laureate Education, Inc. (Producer). (2008). Program five. Cognitive Learning Theory [Motion picture]. Bridging learning theory, instruction and technology. Baltimore: Author.

Lever-Duffy, J. & McDonald, J. (2008). Teaching and learning with technology (3rd ed. pp. 2–35). Boston: Pearson.

Orey, M.(Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Deana.

    Before starting this course, I was blank as to what educational theories existed, what they meant, or anything. I had vaguely heard the term constructionism and behaviorism, but I didn't go to school to study Education, so I was in the dark about most of this. After week 1, when we read a little about the most important theories that are out there, I figured myself to be a constructionist. One of the main reasons I say this is because I use my students' interests and life outside of school and try to integrate these to a particular lesson. So far, I have found that it makes for an overall improved classroom experience.

    However, after reading about cognitivism... I'm not sure. I do a lot of the things that cognitivist theory is all about, and use most of the strategies mentioned by Dr. Orey in the DVD. I guess after next week I may have another theory that I think I'm in line with. I hope not though, I'm confused enough as it is.

    What do you think? What learning theory do you use, or believe you use after starting this course?

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deana, Working with special needs students at the high school level, I have found that they really struggle with retrieving, using, organizing information. For a test, I might give them a review sheet with the test information and they still have trouble sifting through and finding the correct answers. I believe that the technological strategies that you mentioned in your posts could certainly improve their information processing. I am also an advocate for the aspect of connection. As a learner myself, I believe that this is the most effective learning strategy for me. Especially kids with information processing and reading issues, connection is sometimes the only strategy that works. Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cesar,

    There's no need to subscribe to just one theory! I use and believe in the validity in all of them. Each one has a piece or two that makes me say, "Yeah, I agree with that!" We just have to keep in mind that each child and brain is different. What explains behaviors for one person doesn't necessarily cut it for another.

    Don't let any of it confuse you. Take them all for what they are - THEORIES! There is no point-blank proofs of how people learn. If that were the case, every single student would be a little Einstein. (And I can tell you from experience, this is NOT the case! LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristin,

    I work with a lot of special needs students as well. I'm the "go-to" teacher in my grade level for those "tough to teach" students (for whatever reason - learning or emotional disabilities, language issues, or even just bad attitudes!), so I can totally relate to your frustrations.

    The fact that with some students, no matter what we do, it just "doesn't stick" simply proves that all of these theories are simply that - theories. Each student is different, and each student needs something specific for him/her to "get it." Having knowledge about all of the different learning theories out there and about our students as people allows us to zero in on what that particular student needs. All we can do is the best we can do, right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deana, Absolutely! I have taught students with emotional and behavioral disorders for over 20 years and sometimes I think I could write a book. With students with these issues, sometimes academics is put on a back burner. My students are in and out of lock down or suspended at times that attendance is an issue when retaining information that they learn or even catching up with make-up work. It can get crazy. Just the other day, I had a student disrupt class by asking me "What the date was". When I told her she started sobbing because she forgot that she was supposed to appear in court the day before and completely forgot to go. She knew that now there would be a warrant out for her arrest. She had every reason to be upset but it was the other students learning that was interrupted also. This is a constant with the kids that I work with. Kristin

    ReplyDelete