Thursday, November 12, 2009

EDUC 6713: APP 2

As quoted by Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer (2009), self-directed learning is, “any increase in knowledge, skill, accomplishment, or personal development that an individual selects and brings about by his or her own efforst using any method in any circumstance at any time,” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, pg. 2). In order to organize, direct, and reflect on your own learning process, and in turn, strengthen your self-directed learning skills, the authors recommend creating a GAME plan as a guide. Their GAME plan is broken down into four steps: “1) set goals; 2) take action to meet those goals; 3) monitor progress toward achieving goals; and 4) evaluate whether the goals were achieved and extend your learning to new situations,” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, pg. 3).

As a teacher in the 21st century, it is essential that I am not only aware of, but actually skilled in the newest technologies and instructional methods in order to provide my students with the education they need and deserve. To this end, I have set goals for strengthening my confidence and proficiency in the following NETS-T indicators:

“1b: [Teachers] engage students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools and resources; and

2c: [Teachers] customize and personalize learning activities to address students’ diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources,” (National Education Standards for Teachers, 2008).

To achieve these goals, collaboration with colleagues is a must. I will reach out to fellow educators, both in my district and throughout the country via online networks, and find out what has been working (or not working) for their students. Building upon and modifying what others have already started is a great way to get my own wheels turning without having to start from scratch.

Staying abreast of current research and technologies is also critical to achieving my goals. The Internet is an incredibly valuable tool for seeking out the “latest and greatest” on both fronts.

The best way to really achieve my goals is to jump in, try “it,” and see what happens. I am not afraid of new technology, nor am I afraid of testing it out with my students. If it works, great; we’ll keep it. If not, at least we gave it a shot.

The only real way to monitor my progress on these goals is through my students. I will use student surveys and observation to gauge their engagement and motivation. Monitoring their skills development and content learning will be done through projects, formal assessments, and dialogue. They are the leaders in this situation.

To evaluate and extend my learning, I will keep a journal of my “adventures.” This will allow me to take a step back and look at the “big picture” of what is going on in my classroom and with my students. It will also allow me to take an objective look at what seems to be working, what is not working, and where adjustments need to be made. In addition, workshops and conferences offered through my district and professional organizations such as the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics will extend my knowledge and skill in these areas.

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.


National Education Standards for Teachers (NETS-T) located at
http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf.

6 comments:

  1. Over the last year, I have observed your growth as an educator through our on-line discussions, blogs, development of wikis, and sharing of various products utilizing our new skills implementing technology. You have embraced technology use in your classroom. The development of your GAME plan is another example of your desire to provide your students with the best possible opportunities to learn. The plan is well developed and will result in your growth as an educator. Awesome job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deana,

    Collaboration is absolutely the key in learning new ways to teach activities as well as learning new ways to integrate technology. Just as Dr. Ertmer stated in the media resources “Enriching Content Area Learning Experiences I” that integrating effectively requires knowledge, confidence, belief, and supportive culture, (Laureate Education, Inc., 2009). Having that support is essential especially when you feel as though you have nowhere to turn or that you have exhausted all of your ideas. Keep collaborating; let me know how it goes.

    -Farena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri,

    Thanks so much for such kind words! They are much appreciated! I love the use of technology and the excitment I see in my students keeps that fire burning for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deanna,
    It is wonderful that you are ready to jump in and try new ideas and with your students. I wish more educators would be willing to at least try.

    At the beginning of the year my school was told we had to submit electronic lesson plans through an online program. We have 35 teachers only 10 have been using the System.
    So what are chances these 25 teachers will use Technology in their classrooms? (They all have SmartBoards)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deana,

    I love your outlook! " If it works, great; we’ll keep it. If not, at least we gave it a shot."

    I'm going to try to be more like that!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deana,
    Diving in and trying out new technologies that are available is a great way to model risk taking and self-directed learning to your students! Have you thought of using a blog to provide a place where students can reflect on their learning? If you are trying out new technologies with your students, the reflections could give you an idea of whether that particular technology or approach was valuable or helpful to your students. This could really apply to your goal of utilizing technology to better meet student learning styles and modalities.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete