Wednesday, November 18, 2009

EDUC 6713: APP3 - GAME Plan Reviewed

To carry out my action plan, any and all resources are welcome and necessary. One goal is to extend my knowledge of the use of digit tools to engage students in exploring real-world problems and issues. Fellow teachers are incredibly valuable resources, as they may have ideas that haven’t occurred to me yet. Technology journals and blogs are other resources that provide great insight to new tools and applications. One such resource, which I visit regularly, is Free Technology for Teachers; I encourage everyone to check it out!

There is a never-ending amount of information needed, so to answer, “What additional information do you need?” is impossible. Information on what technologies are now available, what technologies seem to have an impact on education, and information on unexpected ways to use technology is always needed.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Deana,

    Veteran teachers are indeed a valuable resource because they have been doing this much longer than we have. In helping a fellow co-worker of mine, I came across a few math websites that you could find useful. They are filled with tutorials, games, interactive things you could do with your students. I hope his helps.

    -Farena

    http://www.mathisfun.com/
    http://www.ciese.org/math/piscataway/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads up on http://www.freetech4teachers.com/. That is a new resource to me. I will be checking in with that site often. I like the “Application for Education” section. I shared the site with some of my co-workers who were eager to check it out also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the information about Free Technology for Teachers! I have already added it to my favorites list and can't wait to explore it more over Thanksgiving Break. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Farena,

    Thanks for the CIESE site! Talk about a great place for resources! We use MathIsFun.com all the time... in fact, it's in every one of my students "Favorites" folder. It really is a GREAT resource for kids!

    Terri,

    You're more than welcome! I'm glad I could be of some help! It's one of my favorite blogs because there's ALWAYS something useful and/or interesting to check out!

    Deana

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deana, I'm sorry!! On my comment to you, I put Terri's name instead of yours. Forgive me! But thank you for those sites.

    -Farena

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deana,
    What about asking your students what types of technology use in the classroom would interest them? What they might be the most engaged in? What they would want to be able to do with technology as it relates to math? As you said, there is such an abundance of new technology and software that your students could help you narrow down your search a bit, by offering up what would most interest them or be helpful to them. You could even make this a blog discussion where students could build on each other's ideas to clarify what sounds exciting and meaningful to them.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete