Thursday, June 4, 2009

APP 5: Connectivism and Social Learning in Practice

This week’s resources explored cooperative learning, which “focuses on having students interact with each other in groups in ways that enhance their learning” (Pitler, Hubbell, Kuhn, & Malenoski, 2007, p. 139). Cooperative learning strategies directly relate to the principles of social learning theories. In a nutshell, social learning theory suggests “meaningful learning occurs when individuals are engaged in social activities” (Orey, 2001). During cooperative learning activities, students are interacting and learning from and with each other, while engaged in purposeful and meaningful lessons. The two ideas, cooperative learning and social learning theory, go hand-in-hand.

Pitler et al. suggest several technological enhancements to the traditional cooperative learning activity. Student-created multimedia projects, web collaboration, keypals (the 21st century version of pen pals), WebQuests, and web site design are several examples of technology enhanced activities that are designed to think, learn, and share together. The “together” piece of the puzzle ties these activities to the social learning theory.

One caveat I would throw out there is to not rely solely on cooperative learning. It is important to remember that every child learns in a unique way and to ignore this fact, based on theory, would do our students a great disservice. To prevent this disservice from happening, Pitler et. al. (2007) recommend cooperative learning to “be used consistently and systematically, but [it] should not be over used” (Pitler et al., 2007, p. 139).

References:

Pitler, H., Hubbell, E., Kuhn, M., & Malenoski, K. (2007). Using technology with classroom instruction that works. Alexandria, VA: ASCD.

Orey, M.(Ed.). (2001). Emerging perspectives on learning, teaching, and technology. Retrieved from http://projects.coe.uga.edu/epltt/

7 comments:

  1. Deana,
    I also found the statement from our resources, “to be used consistently and systematically, but [it] should not be over used”. Every child does learn different. It is important to implement all types of learning strategies to meet the needs of all of our students. With technology, it seems that providing a diverse learning environment to meet all of the needs is becoming less time consuming and includes more options to educators. Kristin

    p.s. I am from a town outside of Youngstown, Ohio which is less than an hour from Jacob's field in response to your comment on voicethread about the hat. You said it "GO TRIBE"! I sure miss some of the old boys, Travis Fryman, Jim Thome, Alamar (Sandy and Alberto), Loften, and Omar.
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deana,

    I really like your blog here, especially how you embedded the voice thread right in your blog, super cool.

    I too am irritated with this aspect of teaching. Sometimes it is all I can do to keep my kids awake. My students are either so tired they can barely stay awake, or so hyper from sitting all day they are jumping out of their seats. I suppose I am no different though. I am tired at the end of the day and anxoius to get out of work to get home.

    I am also irritated when I see schools on Africa with 60 kids with no desks in a dirt floored room and a hand held chalk board about the size of a clip board. Our students have no idea what advantages they have especially with all the techno gadgets teachers have today.

    Again, nice post here, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deana, I know you like to share your opinion, so I would really like to ask it. What are your ideas about giving into children's request to always work alone? I noticed you commented on not always using group work and making sure that it is balanced. How much is too much? At what point do you say no to the child who always requests to work alone when it is a group-time activity?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deana, great job as always.

    I'm sorry to butt in here, but Melissa's question has got me thinking about a situation I had this semester with one of my classrooms. Students were working in teams to complete a project but there was one student who approached me from day 1 and asked me if she could work alone, as she has always been more comfortable that way. I told her that it was a long project, and there would be a lot of work for her to do, especially if she did it without help. She agreed to do it, and turned in one of the best projects of the class, despite her having to work so much more.

    I found out through her classmates that she was just too shy to work with other people, and the fact that she moved here to Mexico from the States and didn't really know anybody that well was also a factor. I talked to her when the semester ended last week and I told her that next semester I wouldn't allow her to work alone on a team project and she said that it was fine, she just needed some time to get to know everybody.

    It's a hard balance, and I think it could go either way. Personally, I love the team dynamic, and the interaction, collaboration, etc., but I can understand why some people would prefer to work alone as well. I think a teacher's decision also hinges on what reason a student gives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deana,
    You make a very good point when you said not to rely solely on cooperative learning. It is true and important to know that children learn in different ways. This is why we as educators play the role of a facilitator in the cooperative learning environment. To monitor and adjust the learning process to each child based on our understanding of the different learning styles. And yes, there is time when we have to use lecture in classroom to deliver some information to our students. We can not depend completely cooperative learning.
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa & Cesar,

    In my opinion, it really depends on the project. There are projects where it's not even possible to work alone. I have a student that asks to work alone every time we have group work. Sometimes I let him, sometimes I let him do part of the work alone, and sometimes I don't let him work alone at all. I think the key is to know your students. Why is s/he asking to work alone? Does s/he have a special strength that others will miss out on if s/he doesn't work with them? Will his/her discomfort with the group dynamic hinder the learning process for all?

    Personally, I hate group work. I am such a control freak that group work causes me a great deal of anxiety. I have a very tough time dealing with the idea that my grade or the outcome of the project is dependent on the skill, knowledge, effort, and commitment of others. (Yes, it's something I'm working on! LOL) Remember that Wiki page we had to create in EDUC 6710? It about killed me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Deana,

    I really enjoyed reading your post and everyone's comments! I agree as well that cooperative learning is not something that should ALWAYS be used, and I have found that there are definitely times it cannot be because certain students will simply try to not contribute. However, in regards to some of the comments, I DO believe that each and every student should practice cooperative learning SOMETIMES, even if they do not "want" to, simply because we are all going to HAVE to work with others at some point in our lives. Our students have to interact with their families or peers, or even if it is simply people in customer service in their lives! The point is, people interact. Period! So any practice is good practice for skills we all need and use in our lives!

    ReplyDelete