Thursday, December 3, 2009

APP5: Evaluating my GAME Plan Progress

I have to be honest and say that my “actions” this week have been very limited. With teaching, coaching, mentoring, and graduate school, I have barely had time to sleep, let alone take action toward my GAME plan goals.

I have learned over the past few weeks that there are more tools available than one could ever imagine if you just look for them. This is not new learning for me, but it is previous learning that has been acutely reinforced. I have also learned (again, not new learning, but reinforced previous knowledge) that our technology integrationist is of little help in finding new tools and developing new ideas for my classroom.

I really want to be able to customize learning for my students, as I teach an incredibly diverse group. However, becoming an “expert” takes time, which is something I do not have a lot of these days. I would really love to get in contact with a technology integrationist that has new ideas, something lacking in the one working in my building.

I think I need to re-examine my plan and focus it a little more. I feel it is too broad right now, which is causing me to feel a little overwhelmed. I’ll do that by taking some time this weekend to sit back and think about what is truly important to me and my students right now. What can we actually use, that is beneficial, practical, and supportive of their learning; not just something to bring in for the heck of it.

5 comments:

  1. Deana,

    It sounds like you're doing a lot of reflection - just you want your students to do more of in your GAME plan. You are absolutely right in that this takes time. I feel exactly the same way you do...overwhelmed. I want to conquer the world and get it right and do what's best for them...now! Often, I have to take a step back, reflect and take a deep breath.

    You're doing a great job and you probably wouldn't feel the way you do if you didn't care so much about your students! They are very lucky to have you. :-)

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deanna,

    I think your day and my day are very much alike with teaching, coaching, and graduate school. Then you add in the holiday season and there is not a lot of extra time! I agree with your plan to examine what is truly important. Narrowing your GAME plan does make sense at this point. You can always expand it again in the future. Remember the quote from out text, “technology should only be used when it facilitates learning, and not simply as a novelty” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, p. 146).

    Terri

    Reference:

    Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2010). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanna,
    Hey I can relate on feeling like there is not enough time in a week. Teaching just seems to have that effect I think. Not enough time in the day no long the week. But I agree with how you mention that if you are to bring something in the classroom it has to have a purpose and a motivating factor for the students. Narrowing it down can be as simple as incorporating one lesson plan with a technological tool. Have fun with it also. I think if you are able to have fun with it then the students will be able to do the same. Good luck.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deana,
    So many of the technology tools out there are so exciting and wonderful, that it is easy to get lost in a sea of "Let's use this!". When you look at the tools available, I have found that there are many of them that serve multiple functions. Those are the tools I try to incorporate first. If I can't do a project or lesson with the tools I have introduced, then I really try to think about whether or not it makes sense to use that new tool, or if I can get the same result from a tool my students are already using. It is difficult sometimes!

    Thanks for the suggestion of ING Unsung Heroes. There are a couple of us who are going to apply for it to get some equipment for a 3-6 program to educate and combat the influence of gangs.

    Good luck with your GAME Plan!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deana,
    I think this time of the year is crazy for all of us!
    Yes there are so many wonderful tools available. But sometimes finding the correct one can be a real challenge. I don't think you have to be the expert, if you have some basic knowledge of the function and usage the students will help you. I love when my students make a discovery to help the class.
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete