Saturday, December 26, 2009

EDUC 6713: Final Reflection

Cennamo, Ertmer, and Ross tell us that, “[t]he GAME plan enables you to customize your approach to learning tasks, to develop relevant skills that are important to you, and prepares you for lifelong learning,” (Cennamo, Ertmer, & Ross, 2009, pgs. 3 – 4). As I reflect on my own GAME plan developed and followed throughout this course, I feel as though I learned several valuable lessons as a result.

The goal on which I focused throughout this course was to increase my proficiency in customizing learning activities to address my students’ diverse learning and working styles and ability levels through the use of digital tools. While working toward this goal, I discovered
Google Docs, which, as I “play” with it, seems to be one of those “must-have” teacher tools. Using Google Docs, students can create PowerPoint-style presentations (as well as other types of documents) together, with all students having access and equal opportunity for input. This will allow for students with varying technology abilities to create a product collaboratively, without one student “taking over,” which can easily happen in a small group setting.

In my learning about the GAME plan process itself, I find myself with conflicting opinions. In theory, it is a great strategy to help students improve their self-directed learning skills. Allowing students to set, monitor, evaluate, and extend their goals puts their learning in their hands, where it should be. This strategy does just that. However, the pace we followed throughout this course left me overwhelmed and questioning its effectiveness.

After sitting back and thinking about it, I now feel as though I can actually see myself using this strategy with my students. Goal setting is a major component of self-directed learning and the basis of the GAME plan. If implemented properly, I feel as though this strategy will be an asset to my instructional practice.

I have to admit that there is no need for an adjustment to my instructional practice regarding the integration of technology. We already use some form of technology on an almost-daily basis. This course has, however, confirmed my opinion that technology is an incredibly valuable tool for learning and its use will benefit my students well beyond the nine months they are with me.

Reference:


Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach (Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment