Thursday, December 17, 2009

EDUC 6713: APP 7: Using the GAME Plan Process with Students

Our goal as educators is to create self-directed, life-long learners; individuals that continually seek new experiences, knowledge and skills. Such learners, according to Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer, “engage in three key processes: planning, monitoring, and evaluating their learning activities,” (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009, pg. 3). The authors’ GAME Plan (Cennamo, Ross, & Ertmer, 2009) provides a framework and guide for learning that puts the responsibility, evaluation, and extension of learning squarely in the learners hands.

Over the past few weeks, I’ve worked through my own GAME Plan in an effort to understand its purpose and process and determine the best way to implement such a strategy with my own students. While the idea behind this strategy is a good one, the speed with which we have “gone through” it left me overwhelmed and a bit frustrated. This, however, has proven to be a valuable lesson about the pacing to use with my own students.

According to the International Society for Technology in Education’s (
ITSE) standards, students must be able to demonstrate creative thinking and innovation, communicate and work collaboratively, use digital tools to research and use information, use critical thinking, problem solving, and decision making skills, understand and practice legal and ethical behavior relating to technology, and understand technology concepts, systems, and operations (ISTE, 2007).

Using the GAME Plan as a means for gaining proficiency in these standards accomplishes two goals: proficiency the NETS•S standards themselves and greater skill in self-directed learning. Allowing students to set their own goals then handing the responsibility for monitoring, evaluating, and extending those goals over to them is the only way to truly “teach” them to become the life-long, self-directed learner I set out to create.

References:

Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach (Laureate Education custom edition). Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

6 comments:

  1. "While the idea behind this strategy is a good one, the speed with which we have “gone through” it left me overwhelmed and a bit frustrated. This, however, has proven to be a valuable lesson about the pacing to use with my own students. . . "

    What insight!

    I also completely agree with your approach...

    "Allowing students to set their own goals then handing the responsibility for monitoring, evaluating, and extending those goals over to them..." to teach them to truly get what it means to be a self-directed learner.

    Good for you! You are doing great.

    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deana,

    Great post! I agree that when we give students control of setting their goals and monitoring them, that we are indeed teaching them how to become life-long and self-directed learners.

    I think during this class we have all learned that in creating our own GAME plan how we would monitor and adjust when we teach GAME plan modeling to our students. Yes at times we do get frustrated, however we know that we learn through our frustrations and learn how and what we will do differently the next time.

    Enjoy your holidays!

    -Farena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deanna,

    You make a lot of good points in your post. I agree completely with your statement “While the idea behind this strategy is a good one, the speed with which we have ‘gone through’ it left me overwhelmed and a bit frustrated” (Mulanax, 2009). Teachers on all levels must remember the importance of pacing our lessons! I plan to carry out my GAME Plan until I reach my goals. I think the reviews would have been more meaningful every couple of weeks. I use the SMART technique when developing goals with my students but I think I am, also, going to try implementing the GAME Plan approach this coming semester.

    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  4. Deana,
    I like how your goal is to make your students self-directed learners. Using technology is going to help all teachers do that because it allows us to give students instant feedback on how well they are doing. This way they can monitor their learning right there and then. I feel that have students create projects on-line allows this instant feedback from their classmates and teachers help them in monitor their own learning. Then they can revaluate and make there products better by using insight from others. Over time the students will be developing the GAME plan in themselves. Good luck with your class as I will be trying to do the same here.

    Bryan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deana,
    I always enjoy reading your insightful posts. I also was frustrated at speed of the GAME Plan. I am one that has to chew on and idea to process it before I can be ready to implement it. If I am unable to do this I am less likely to incorporate the idea into my lessons.
    I do see a great benefit for my students and self but I will make sure I am successful before I have my students use the Game Plan for their own goal setting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Deana,
    Wonderful understandings of how important the ISTE standards are to student learning and success! Your students are very fortunate to have someone who values them as you do! When students learn goal setting and progress monitoring, they are learning a tool that will impact every aspect of their life!

    Great job!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete